Saturday morning (which I spent preparing for the car boot sale*), M decided to clear the last remaining untidy spot in our garden. This small patch of garden has been a complete mess since we moved in (April 2006!!), and perhaps it was time to sort it out!
We don’t want to spend a lot of money on our garden right now, so it has to be done on the cheap!
Before: (During building work)
Area to the right
View from the other side
We still need to clear a lot of stones and wood from the soil, but for now I’ve added a plant (bought at the car boot yesterday for £2) and moved a plant we already had to the back of the area. We’ll probably add a couple of coverage plants next week, before covering the area in bark. Looking at the photo ^ I also need to straighten the mini wall I built at the side!
If we stay in this house long term then we would reconsider our whole garden, but for now (as it’s potentially going to be a rental), we’re (very) slowly clearing it!
* The weather was amazing for our car boot sale yesterday and we made approx £150! Yay!
We have a small(ish) kitchen, so I keep it fairly de-cluttered in order to have room to cook etc. Our house is quite quirky and the kitchen is a sort of triangle shape (if you look closely you’ll see there’s still work to be done at the very end of the room – garden entrance)
The saving grace (when it comes to having space), is having the breakfast room next to it [the kitchen]. I suppose if we wanted to, we could extend the kitchen into this area, but as it is, it’s just fine. My main store cupboard/pantry is in a cupboard in the breakfast room (behind the chalk board), and this is where I keep all the food.
I change my mind about stockpiling all the time, but right now I’m happy to stockpile anything, as long as it fits into this cupboard. <—–
Okay, our menu plan this week…..which is very simple as we’re at Mum’s for 2/3 days
- Pizza and salad
- Beef Casserole
- Sausages + Sweet Chili Stir Fry Noodles
- Chili (from the freezer) with Rice
Linking up with I’m an Organizing Junkie
What’s on your menu this week? Do you keep a big stockpile?
I’ve been a little absent from the blog world this week for a couple of reasons. 1) we took a quick trip to Bath and 2) we’re trying to complete the decorating in all three bedrooms of our house before the carpet arrives on the 19th.
Trying to do all three [bedrooms] at once means you have to move furniture around a lot – thankfully it’s made easier as we don’t have too much stuff!
Our bedroom before
- The fireplace, which was a lovely (!!) brown colour, has been spray painted black – we used Painters Touch Flat Black by Rust Oleum - an absolute bargain at £5.49 a can!
- I’m painting the walls in Dulux Brilliant White – another bargain at £19 for 10L
- The carpet (3 beds, stairs and landing) is costing a whopping £1,444.61. This price includes the fitting, the underlay and two door trims. Our old carpet, which has been down since we moved in didn’t have underlay and I’m hoping it’ll make our old Victorian house a little warmer. We’re having this carpet, which I secured at £14.49 m2 in the January sales.
We still have a little work to do on the house before we can even think about renting or selling it, but at least we’re making progress!
Last week I tackled a bedroom, this week the bathroom. Way too much money was spent on the bedroom, so the bathroom only got a lick of paint (already had), a deep clean and a £5 orchid….to add a little glamour!
*TOTAL COST £5!
Are you planning any frugal house projects?
PS. If you’re interested in seeing more of casa No More Spending I’ve put a House Tour up over on my other blog
♥ Subscribe by Email | Subscribe by RSS | Follow on Twitter ♥