Our Grocery Budget (+ Food Inventory)

I thought long and hard about the amount of money needed for food in 2014, but in the end decided to keep the budget at £200* a month (for now). It will be changing a little in the summer as we’re expecting B to come home after uni for a short while (long while?), but he’ll be paying board, so I’ll up the budget accordingly.

*I’ve spent an average of £217 a month this year, so £200 seems a good amount to aim for.

December Grocery Spending:
So far this month I’ve spent £106.19 – which includes my already ordered shopping for December 23rd. This leaves me with 93.81 for the next 17 days – totally doable even with 3 of us to feed (B is home next week).

Food cupboard + Freezer Inventory:
Here’s a list of the food we have in our pantry and freezer before today. I’ll be using this, and the food being delivered later, to make a menu plan for the rest of the month.

Food inventory

Have you set your grocery budget for 2014? Are you increasing it compared to this year?  Or are you trying to lower it?

Comments

• nomorespending says

I think I’m at the level I’m comfortable with and so will replenish items as and when needed…as long as they’re on sale. We’ve been eating quite simply lately (plain chicken/fish+veg) as I’m trying to cut down on ‘sticking every thing in a sauce ‘, but I still like to have a store cupboard of food (I’m a wannabe prepper lol!)

1. Juhli says

Congrats on doing a great job this year! I am hoping to reduce our food spending in 2014 but it will be hard to tell as in the past I have tracked groceries, toiletries, household cleaners & paper goods, and alcohol together as they are bought at the same stores. I’m going to get a new food only baseline in 2014 to see where we are on that.

2. Baroness Prudent Spending says

Hi Laura! You are so good with your grocery shopping and meal planning. Since that is one of the expenses most of us can control (somewhat given inflation etc.), it is something that I will be focusing on (again) in 2014. Haven’t set a budget yet but I need to work on using more coupons, shopping sales, stocking up AND most importantly menu planning. ~ Pru

• nomorespending says

I think menu planning is definitely the key. I’m hoping to add ‘leftovers’ a lot more in 2014 – cook once/eat twice as I think it will help to control costs.

3. Amanda says

Looks like you have a nice stockpile! We don’t follow a strict monthly budget because I’m working hard to buy more organic foods and items with less packaging (or at least in glass rather than plastic). I think it’s worth the extra money. We used to spend about $200-225 a month, but lately we’re often up around $250-$275.

• nomorespending says

Hi Amanda
      It’s a shame that less packaging equals more cost, but it does seem to. I’ve been through stages of buying organic veg & meat but stopped a lot of it because of the cost – I still buy organic beef/eggs/bacon, but that’s about it.

You are still my inspiration for grocery budgeting, Laura. We still haven’t managed to get our spending “consistent” from week to week, though we have reduced spending overall this year by meal planning. The focus for us now will be trying to do *one* shop only each week. We always run out of things and do two or three runs to the store each week.

• nomorespending says

Thank you!
      I think 90% of my money management time is spent on the grocery bill – keeping everything under control is hard work lol, but worth it, as I could easily double the amount money we spend. The ‘one’ shop a week is a big money saver and it’s something I’ve finally mastered this year. If we run out of something we just go without it (unless it’s milk for my coffee!) :)

5. Hawaii Planner says

Well, we’re slowly trending down as we eat more meals at work (free) & run to the store less frequently. Now I just need to work on making good use of leftovers, ensuring we have no food waste, etc. I think $500 is a totally reasonable monthly target for us, but it’s hard to hit. I don’t include alcohol or household products (shampoo, toilet paper, etc) in this number, & I’m blown away by people that can keep the total costs that low!