05. 01. 2013

I’m taking part in Carla’s January No/Low Spend @ Decluttering Challenge, find all the details here :)

No/Low Spend Challenge

My Personal Goals for the challenge:

*DE-CLUTTERING GOAL

My de-cluttering goal is to clear our tiny box room. I’ve kept quite a bit of stuff in there for when my youngest daughter sets up a home, and/or to donate, and next month it’s happening (sniff): My ‘baby’ is moving into a flat with her boyfriend and anything not passed on will be donated. I also hope to have a de-cluttered spare bedroom…which I can then decorate in February.

Week one of the challenge and my goal was to just start! I took a ‘before’ picture of the box room (from the doorway as you can’t get in there!), and then set to work on a bag of clothes. I’ve set aside the items I’m not sure about (my daughters), and everything else will be taken to the recycling centre.

Declutter week one

Week One

I’m hoping to get a lot more done tomorrow!

*MY NO/LOW SPEND GOAL

For the finance part of the challenge my goal will be: No Personal Spending. At all. No books, no coffee’s, no exceptions. I will only ‘spend’ on budgeted expenses. We don’t have any birthdays coming up, or any outings planned (I hibernate in January), so it’s a great month to do it. I will be spending some money helping K out with her move, but that will be in the budget.

So far, so good with this part of the challenge. But January is only 5 days old lol and I’m still feeling very spoilt from the Christmas period – I have a few lovely books to read and a Buffy Boxset to watch! – so we’ll have to see how it goes.

If you’re taking part in the challenge, how are you doing? Have you made any progress with your decluttering?

As always thank you to Carla for organising us :)

******

PS. If you’re lovely enough to have No More Spending on your Blogger blogroll I would be really grateful if you could update your link to this site. It means deleting the old one (which doesn’t work), and then re-installing the new one (here). I’m really sorry to cause you extra work.

9 Responses to “January No/Low Spend & Decluttering Challenge Update #1”

1. Andrea says:

Aww you will be okay my baby left the nest in August but I went about decorating his room and totally changed it.The father Christmas looks very nice.

• Laura says:

Thanks Andrea – I’m totally okay with her leaving it’ll just feel a little weird not to have any children living at home. Anyway, decorating it is for me too :)

2. Lindsey says:

I have been slowly decluttering my house for a few years now. I am going a bit extreme with it because I am trying to be fairly minimalistic, however I have learned a few universal rules. Any change makes a difference however small and the best way to help yourself declutter is not to bring new items into the house. The fact that you are on a no/low spend should really help you declutter so it’s a win/win!

• Laura says:

Hi Lindsey – I’m hoping this latest round of de-cluttering will be my last. We’re very close to achieving our own version of minimalist living :)

3. Jane Savers says:

I am attempting a no spend/low spend month for January. This weekend has been very easy to avoid spending because it is freezing cold, snowing and my son had the car for work most of the weekend. Easy to spend no money when you can’t leave the house.

• Laura says:

Hi Jane. That’s exactly how I avoid spending most of the time: staying at home! As you say much easier to do when it’s freezing cold outside :)

4. I came over from Carla challenge of no/low spent challenge. I to an an empty nester and some how what once was there bedroom now tends to get stuff toss in them.
    But now I’m focusing on the coffee table and two end tables.
    Hope all goes well on your goals…Mine is up and the coffee is on.

5. […] needed to pay £3 into the work lottery syndicate and I can’t decide if this breaks my January no spend lol – it’s a regular thing, but I forgot to add it in the […]

6. carla says:

So far, so good!! I’ve been spending more than I had hoped on food, but we’re still under budget, so i’m ok with that! Good luck with next weeks goals!