28. 10. 2011

I’m thinking of changing the way I report our budget every month.  All year I’ve posted a spreadsheet and I’m wondering if you’re all bored with it?!  I know I am (a little).
   Lots of the information on it, especially the essential household expenses, stays the same from month to month.  Going forward I’m thinking of having a budget page listing the essentials, and then every month only report the changes, with our spending/saving. What do you think?  Do you like to see spreadsheets or do you prefer just the monthly highlights?  I’d love to hear which way you prefer it  :)

October budget highlights:

Overall this was a good month. We didn’t add any money to the moving abroad fund, but we did move the mortgage a little further towards 5 figures.

Let me know, how did your budget turn out in October?

* What’s that you say sweetheart? Mummy can stay whenever she likes?! Ha! You’re such a good daughter! ;)

♥ Subscribe by Email | Subscribe by RSS | Follow on Twitter

9 Responses to “Managing Our Budget: October 2011 Budget vs. Actual”

I must say I do like seeing the spreadsheets – it helps a lot to see how other people do things. However, I’m a relatively new reader, so I probably have a different slant than the long-term readers!

2. Michelle P says:

Our budget went well, I’m so happy.

3. Sammyleia says:

My very favourite city in all the world is London :) I don’t mind how you share your budget with us. You’re doing really well with it. I’m hoping that you will inspire me to do better too:)

4. Nice work in October! We were up in some categories, but continue to get better at our conscious spending. We paid down our mortgages, incurred no new debt, and paid for our monthly expenses. (Some higher than expected.)

5. Niki says:

I like the highlights but I think the spreadsheet is very helpful for people trying to start and seeing an example helps. I also understand wanting to do the highlights.

I used to do a weekly spending report but it was a lot of work. I never thought to just do a monthly one. A Duh!

Nice month by the way!

6. I love spreadsheets!

Also piecharts are great.

I don’t mind Laura, I’m never bored when I visit.

October for us has gone really well,

Sft x

7. Aloysa says:

My budget turned out horribly. I went on a shopping spree, had some unexpected vet expenses and my budget (sadly) went out the window. :(

8. Jane says:

We did it Laura!! I may try to lower my food budget again in November:) I used to post all of my expenses but now I just hit the highlights and changes. I was just sort of bored with the Loooong version. A change is as good as a rest they say!

9. Thanks everyone. The support I’ve had with the grocery challenge this month has been AWESOME!
    ♥♥♥